09 May 2009

Bigotry

It seems to me to be more common now than ever. I see the unreasonable promotion of ones own beliefs at the exclusion of all others, all around me. Some of the worst offenders seem to be the recent targets of bigotry themselves.

Why are they acting as though another wrong will make it right? Why do they act to punish other innocents for the injustice visited upon them or their ancestors? I don’t know.

You can’t cause bigotry to go away by adding more. Another bigoted act won’t erase any of the indignity of the past. “See, I can do it too,” won’t erase the memory.

Unless of course, the object is to punish those who have wronged you, then it would be necessary to choose them accurately, not just punish all other groups except yours. I doubt it’s possible to know who or what wronged your ancestors or if many of them are still alive to be punished. It’s also difficult to determine which living suspects willfully acted against you or yours. And who would you punish if a system, program, process, fate or your own bigoted beliefs, not someone else, caused your loss?

No comments:

Post a Comment